Tuesday, August 13, 2013

My 207th Bone experience

It was a Saturday. Was supposed to be any other Saturday. This is how the day was planned.

Friday night, just before I went to bed, planned to get up late, relax a bit, watch TV or some funny “Epic Fail” videos on YouTube. Then re-planned to make sure I service my bike, the brake was loose and used to stop abruptly when cold started. So my plan as of now was the following check list.

  1. Get up late
  2. Give the bike for servicing

On Friday, I had worked overtime, up to 8PM after a really long time. Not because I had to, but I was enjoying what I was doing. I was writing a code, one of my favorites after a long time. It was not yet finished. Added this item to the weekend plan. Will finish the code and be ready to show-off by Monday. Update!

  1. Get up late
  2. Give the bike for servicing
  3. Complete the code I have been working on

Okay, I think that would eat up the whole day. Lets go to sleep!

Saturday 6 AM , the alarm went off. Oops, didn’t included to shut off the alarm while I was planning to get up late Sad smile. Got up, shut off the alarm and went back to bed. Well the plan for the day rest of the room mates was pretty clear for them. We had an company level football tournament starting that day. My work team had formed a play team. Had been practicing a lot lately. I was bad at football. Well, I can’t say that as I never played football. I had not enrolled my name to the play team. I overheard one of my roomie calling everyone on the team to be ready in the field by 8:45AM. I thought I saved my Saturday!! Then he asked on me. Two of the team members are sick and we don’t have a substitute. Will come to the match, be a substitute in case we need one. I said, hmm okaaay.  After all they are playing in the name of my team (work). Let help in whatever way I could. So the plan changed

  1. Get up late Get up early and play football
  2. Give the bike for servicing
  3. Complete the code I have been working on

Got up, brushed my teeth, put some dirty-able cloths and headed to the ground. Turns out that I will not be a substitute, rather I will in the playing squad and we would be playing without any substitute. I was made the Goal-keeper and to my amazement I did fairly well. The game ended as 3-1 and we being on the winning side. Great!!

I was hungry, exhausted and excited. Had to finish the other items on the check list as well. Grabbed my bike cruised out of the field and was on the best road in the city. To add a few points here, my house was less than a kilometer away from the field. The field was inside a IT tech park and the road was awesome. My company also sits in the same IT park.

I was probably at 30s kmph  (may be probably 40’s but not more than 50 kmph), the road was wet due to drizzle in the morning. I looked towards my right to the new awesome new building of my office, thinking of the incomplete code which I planed to finish that day. I looked front and I saw I was too close to the obtuse right turn. It was not even a turn, it was just a curve in the road. On the left were bushes, overgrown due to the monsoon rains and on the right was the pavement. I applied brake, but it was too slow to respond. I calculated my options. I could make a hard right turn which could resulted in a  skid and I may be brushing by right cheek with the tar road. Hmm, bad option. I can go straight into the bush. The bush would slow me down and probably stop while I am still on the bike.  Better idea. I kept the handle steady, still applying brakes. I entered the bush, all of a sudden something came under my wheel, probably a big stone or brick. My shock absorber took most of the shock, but I followed Newton’s first law and was thrown out of my bike. Flew the the bushes and fell few foots away, still inside thick bush. I was still conscious.  I could see a drain running besides me. Thanked God that I didn’t ended up inside the drain. Checked my head of any injury. Ohh, nothing, grateful again. Then I realized the bush was too dense for anyone from the road to see me. I remember one of my roomie was also coming from the ground to our room. He would probably cross the spot any moment. I came out of the bush and raised my arm so that he could see me. Sure enough he crossed the spot after few seconds. I went few steps back to spot my bike. Got it inside the bush lying on its right. Strangely the bike was still on and the back wheel was rotating. Thought the abrupt stopping problem got solved. Stretched my right arm to spot the ignition key and switch off. Vikas (my roomie) was now concerned and asked are you hurt? I stood up to check any pain in the body. Well I can stand, so the legs must be fine. There is no pain in my head and I had already checked for blood so there is no problem with my head. I can raise my right arm, check. Lets raise my left arm, oops, it pains. It pains at the collar. Check that, the collar bone seems out of place. The left one is higher than the right one. From all my knowledge of zoology, I was sure it has fractured. In the meantime Vikas had taken out my bike out of the bush. There were two more guys who saw the accident also came there. Vikas gave the keys of my bike to them and asked to follow. I was about to pillion ride in Vikas’s bike and felt dizzy. Every thing around was getting blurred. As if the brightness has gone up and the contrast has gone down. I was fainting. Vikas started his bike but didn’t had any clue where to go. There were few clinics near our house. We went to one that he had gone once. I was an emergency case. I thought of my plan again. It stands as

  1. Get up late Get up early and play football
  2. Give the bike for servicing
  3. Complete the code I have been working on
  4. Don’t know what to do !!

4 comments:

  1. Boy oh Boy, you need to be in place and do things in a proper manner. Take good rest because collar bone fractures are not repaired easily due to pressure everytime. So you need good rest, some support (SLING may be) for the left shoulder. And yes add some pain killers, some calcium and if possible meet some physiotherapist and take some lessons.

    And May god bless you. Have a faster recovery...

    Dr Jyoti Prasad Pattnaik

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a dislocated shoulder and not a true fracture. Of course you might have consulted someone by now. Do take care anyway. Both are painful and need rest.

    Jeezoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing a very speedy recovery Niraj

    ReplyDelete